Friday, October 9, 2009

How Can We Save at least 1 Hour A Day?

Last week I had some renovations done in my office and living room. As the workers were redoing the walls I had to temporarily move my desk to my bedroom, where I could continue to work quietly. Unfortunately, I don't have WiFi in my condo and moving my work space meant losing the internet during the day while the work was being done.

Yes I admit it,
I am one of those checking emails all day long.

So I was pretty much in a panic. I would only be able to check my email about 3 times a day. But it turned out to be a great lesson. I remembered hearing about a book called "Never read your emails in the morning," but I never sat down to read it. My excuse for constantly checking my email is that half of my clients are based in Europe and are 6 hours ahead of us. I need to reply as soon as possible. But I agreed that it is just an excuse since not every email is an emergency.

For an entire week I had limited access to my email. I only used the internet early in the morning before the work started, during the lunch hour and in the evening after the crew left. And after a week the lesson became clear: I saved at least one hour every day. I know, it sounds amazing, and it is. I saved an entire hour of work per day by not responding to emails constantly. I gained one hour which allowed me to spend more time working on my marketing and
promotion.

I normally write an article a month and often said that I don’t have the time to write more. With all the time that I saved last week, I was able to write 4 articles in just one week! If I keep this rhythm it means 18 articles a month instead of 1 per month, ok let say 15 just in case. That is 14 more promotion/exposure opportunities per month to attract more people to my website. Which means more potentials clients AND more money.

Time management is crucial. Limit your email responses to 1 to 3 times per day. See if you can work in an extra hour marketing or taking one more client consultation instead of checking emails. The figures speak for themselves: let's say you charge $150/hour for your services and you get an extra hour per day. That equals an additional $750 a week, $3,000 a month or $36,000 a year. No bad right! When we put it into numbers it resonates even more.

If you are like me and you check your emails constantly, try my new strategy for the next week. Track your results and share your experience and leave a comment.

I look forward to hearing your story.

No comments: